Monday, May 13, 2013

Why counting calories helps.

As much as I don't enjoy counting calories, I can understand the importance.  Yesterday was Mother's Day.  I tracked my food all day but then we went out to dinner.  We went to my favorite Thai place and I ordered Laad Naa.  I have NO clue how many calories are in that dish.  Then we stopped at the store on the way home and my husband bought me a Reese's Peanut Butter cup.  At this point I was considering the day "shot" as far as calories go.  So, I decided to take a walk and mitigate the damage.  I got home from my walk and sat down at my computer to assess the damage.  I use MyFitnessPal to track my food and I wear a FitBit, the two are synced.  I checked for Laad Naa in the database and I had two choices, one was 1800 calories.  O_o  The other was a little over 300.  I chose the smaller, LOL.  Then I added my candy and surprisingly, I was 200 calories under what I am "allowed" to eat.  So, oh yes, I ate that candy.  And to be fair, my dinner likely included that "extra" 200 calories so I probably ate right at my limit.

BUT!  I was OK.  And when you're not keeping track, it's very easy to assume your day is ruined and overeat because you think it doesn't matter.  And it's probably also quite likely to eat too much and think you're fine.

Today I am trying to figure out a weight training routine to do.  I know it's silly but I don't want to use any contraptions at the gym.  I know how to use the weight machines and the tricep pulldown cable.  But I don't want to try and figure out what the heck a Smith machine is, let alone how to use it.  I just want some basic exercises that use dumbbells.  :p

No comments:

Post a Comment